So this is still it! And yes, I continue to fight in my hope that this will be the final push –from now until Rough River– to get the main assembly of the aircraft completed. That’s my goal. An aggressive timeline to be sure! After Rough River, I then expect the next few months to be finalizing any leftover punch list items and the finishing & painting!
As you probably know, starting a few months back I had planned on knocking out a good dozen electrical related items so that I could close up the nose. I got a bunch of those completed, but kept finding myself not being able to really close out wire runs, confirm install spacing configurations such as the pitch trim unit, etc. because I couldn’t sit in the airplane and confirm what I had dimensionally without the actual pilot’s seat in place. I couldn’t get the pilot’s seat area done without contending with the fuel lines, driving me to complete the thigh support fuel sump.
So the immediate order of battle right now is to finish the major components in the back seat (GIB) area, primarily the oil heat system with requisite ducts, before then moving forward again to the pilot’s seat area. These mini-tasks are definitely time-consuming and a lot more slow going then planned. But they allow me to work all this stuff while I can stand right next to the fuselage without having to deal with strakes being in the way!
Plus, anything that I install now is just one less item that will need to be installed at some point in the future. Obviously not as sexy as seeing major aircraft components (i.e. nose, strakes, canopy) being completed, but Oh so necessary for quality of flying later on! Moreover, these completed tasks, in turn, will allow me to finalize the configuration of the nose components. At which point I will focus on the building the nose while concurrently finalizing the wheel pants install (nope, haven’t forgot about those!). Then the canopy install will be after that.
The struggle is REAL folks, as it continues to be busy all up in here!!