One last project move

after this one!

After having just drove back from Marco’s airport yesterday, after our return from RR19, today I have to pay the piper and get ALL my stuff moved out of my hangar at the airport.

Due to damage to the hangars and the ensuing tear down and rebuild, the airport is cancelling all of our leases and essentially evicting us.

For me, the moving out process was a lot more entailed than any other hangar occupant since I had a myriad of assorted project boxes, pieces and tools. Let alone all the household stuff I had stored in the hangar temporarily… using it as a transitional storage unit as part of my final move to NC.

Below is one of the first loads of 6 full loads to empty my hangar.

I then started to get to the nitty gritty (read: important) stuff in the late afternoon/early evening.

Packing up and securing a load takes time of course, and to minimize time with the wings –and since I had 2 feet of extra space on this new trailer I bought (and boy did it come in handy!)– I loaded the entire wing dolly onto the trailer with the wings secured to the dolly. Much, much easier than loading and securing all these components separately.

Clearly unloading back at the house is faster than loading at the hangar, but it still takes time and I wanted stuff at least somewhat organized. Again, I paid a price for going to Rough River with the rush job I had to do on clearing out the hangar… but it was definitely worth it!

Here I am very late at night finally getting to loading up the fuselage. Again, with the extra 2 foot length on this trailer I was able to put the fuselage in and put it in the grazing position without worrying about the nose (or firewall) hitting anything.

I also loaded up a considerable amount of stuff around the fuselage after I got it secured, which added another hour before I departed the airport.

Back at the house here’s the fuselage on the trailer, ready to come off after I unloaded the considerable amount of stuff around it.

I raised the nose (gear down) and prepped ‘er to roll down the ramp.

The tape on the bottom side of the nose securing the taxi light keeps reminding me of the smile that PSA Airlines always painted on their airplanes in the 1970s… I saw one btw at National Airport a while back.

I just chalk it up to the plane being happy to finally be home at the workshop that will finally see its completion!

On a final, bit more philosophically note, I post these blogs of my build-related moves not as much for build info –obviously– but as an account of my time. Life has a way of derailing airplane building projects (quite often permanently) and I want to hold myself accountable for the time I spend not actually building. This blog helps me go back and see what I was up to… and documents the crazy machinations that I will have had to go through to get me from the beginning to the finish line of a flying Long-EZ.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.