Today I started off pulling the peel ply and razor trimming the glass on the elevator fairings outboard face 1-ply BID layups.
I then test fitted the elevator fairings –as part of the aft nose/avionics cover– in place. The right inboard TE of the canard needed just a bit of trimming for the cover to fit back into place, but after 30 seconds of judicious sanding it all fit.
I have to say I’m extremely pleased with the appearance and fit of these elevator fairings. Obviously it’s a big relief to have these off the To-Do list!
Here’s a shot of the underside of the elevators and fairings.
It may seem like much, but I then spent the rest of the day and most of the evening painstakingly working on labeling on the instrument panel. Although I use masking tape to align and level my labels, it really does take quite a bit of time to get all these labels aligned, straight, even, etc. so they don’t look too heinous.
Although I did spend an amazing number of hours applying these labels, I think I would have also spent a lot of time ginning all this up into CAD if I had someone else create some type of peel ‘n stick sheets, or silkscreened it, etc. And as I mentioned before, although I want my panel to look as professional and nice as possible I really am shooting for the functional 80-90% solution here.
Tomorrow I plan on finishing up labeling the panel, and then I’ll clear coat it.