I started out today by removing the protective duct tape & nails used in bonding the pieces together for the LEFT wing’s FC2 section. I also cut the 6″ wedge off the Left wing’s FC1 section for the hollow/inset Inboard end rib.
Back on the Right wing, I drew a line & cut off a wedge at the most Inboard part on the front portion of the wing. This will allow the front of the wing to align correctly with the fuselage-side strake later on after the strakes are built.
I then whipped up some flox and floxed the jigs to the top wing surface by applying a small dab of flox every 6-12″ along the corner intersections of wing foam to wood jig (seen in the picture above).
I spent a couple of hours constructing a long work table for the wing builds and getting it as straight & level as possible. Due to the size of the wings this new & improved work bench is much longer then the previous one.
I then unscrewed the wing jig base from its wood pedestal and placed the wing–in the jigs–bottom side up on the work table. I leveled all the wing jigs to ensure they all matched & thus the wing washout (the shape of the wing as in how it twists, or “flows”) was as close to the intended design as possible. Once all the jigs, and thus the wing, was as level as I could get it (there were some slight anomalous variances I mitigated as best possible, but that I could simply not eliminate) I hard mounted the jigs to the table using L-brackets & screws.
I prepped a 1×2 strip of wood which will be used as a dam while laying up the 3″ UNI tape spar caps. I covered the parts of the wood dam strip that will contact the layup with duct tape. I then bondo’d & clamped the dam strip to the shear web at the inboard part of the wing where the aft wing section extends farther Inboard than the front part of the wing.
With the bondo on the dam cured & good to go, I taped off the edge of the spar cap (shear web glass) with plastic to protect the wing foam surfaces. I also set up the 3″ UNI tape on its dispenser stand.