Today, as the CS spar cures, I started by spending around 2 hours at the Ramstein base wood hobby shop. I finished cutting a bunch of templates, jigs & parts–mainly for the canard build.
I also bought stuff to restock the basic composite working supplies: duct tape, tacks, etc.
I then switched gears to focus on Chapter 20, the Upper Winglets. I’ll knock these out as the CS spar cures completely for a few days.
The first thing I did was work on the cosmetics of the Long-EZ’s upper winglets. I have noticed a lot of beautiful Long-EZ’s that seemed like the very top of each winglet was simply hacked off and stolen…. very square. I would like my winglets to have a rounded look, swept back from the front and smooth all the away around. So that, my dear friends, is what I worked on today.
I started out with a scrap strip of blue PVC foam. Now blue PVC foam is not known for its ease of shaping, but I wanted something that could not be easily damaged with one swipe of the sanding block. I slowly shaped the rounded blended top cap for the winglet.
I double-checked a ton, but finally got a good shape I could work with.
I refined just a tad more to get the finish & shape I was looking for….
And then, just to try out something different, I made the other side from the more porous blue wing foam.
I continued to mock them up on the tops of the winglets, and then continued to refine the shape of the top caps.
Once I was happy with the shape of each side, I micro’d the new tops onto the winglets & held them in place with nails.