Today I carved out about an hour from house updating tasks to bake a couple of batches of desiccant to reinvigorate the moisture absorbing power of this magical stuff.
Part of that process was pulling the cylinder dehydrator plugs to replenish them as well with the high-octane desiccant. I then replaced the freshly pulled dehydrator plugs with spark plugs and then flipped the engine inverted to bath the camshaft and upper areas of the crankcase with oil.
After I inverted the engine I then replaced the bottom spark plugs with the freshly replenished & renewed dehydrator plugs. As I pulled the plugs on a couple of the cylinders I used a flashlight to take a peak inside the cylinders to check out the condition in there. The walls and a bit of a piston in both cylinders that I checked were wet with oil and shining bright as a new penny ( . . . or maybe a dime, since it’s silver colored?!).
Happy with what I saw I tried my best to grab a pic of the cylinder wall, which you get a general idea of in the shot below.
I’m really happy with this engine stand and appreciate being able to get the camshaft soaking in a bath of preservation oil.
When I inverted the engine this time around, I made sure to run the output line from the engine dehumidifier into the cold air induction plenum opening, which I then ensured was as taped closed as possible (sorry for the not-so-clear pic!).
I also installed some Lycoming exhaust manifold port covers that I picked up from ACS. They cost a bit but I’ve been so busy –with no time to roll my own– that I went ahead and pulled the trigger on them. Also, as you can see, again I loaded up the dehydrator plugs with fresh desiccant.
[NOTE: At the very bottom edge of the pic below you can see a drop of oil near the clear tubing. I found that the fuel injection nozzle port was dripping oil so I tried my best to tighten the fittings. I got a little bit of the main fitting and good bit of the smaller fitting, and slowed the drip down considerably…. but I will need to sinch up the fittings a tad more to ensure the leaking is stopped.]
In addition, I threw away the tired desiccant packs that I had stuffed inside the exhaust manifold ports a while back and should be getting a batch of good-sized fresh desiccant packs within the next day or so to replace the ones I threw out.
I have been meaning to invert the engine for weeks now but of course had to deal with swapping plugs, refreshing the dehydrator plugs, baking desiccant, etc. I’m really glad that I was finally able to get this done and all still looks spiffy-keen with the engine!