Today I finalized the prep for glassing the BL 55.5 wing jut out. I wasn’t happy with the quality of the corners near the wing bolt extrusion area & near that inside at the shear web glass-to-foam junction. So I sanded down those areas… and you could tell I was serious because I broke out the Perma-Grit tools!
After I smoothed out the surfaces to be glassed as best possible, I wanted to get the antenna cable out of the way so I didn’t have to contend with it like I did on the Right wing. I ran a long aluminum tube thru the wing cabling channel, attached some string & the antenna cable to the tube and then pulled it all back far enough inside the channel that I could layup the BL 55.5 rib glass without messing about with the antenna cable.
I cut & laid up 2 each 3″ x 30″ UNI strips over the extrusion & along the edge of the wing bolt access hole in the infamous “V” pattern.
I put a thin layer of flox over the irregular surface just Outboard of the extrusion, between it and the foam. I then filleted the foam/glass corners with dry micro & squeegeed micro- slurry onto foam field.
I pre-pregged the 3-ply BID setup for the BL 55.5 inset rib & laid it up. I overlapped it onto the extrusion area as well.
While the BL 55.5 inset rib was curing, I cut about half of the 1/4″ plywood that I had used for the fuselage bottom “sled” to use for jigs & templates for the next build, Chapter 14 – Center Section (CS) Spar, and a few other chapters as well. I used the 3M 77 spray glue to tack the tracings onto the plywood, and then took the wood to the base wood shop to cut out the jigs & templates.
After returning home, I knife trimmed the 3-ply BID on the edges of the BL 55.5 jut out inset rib.
Chapter 14 — Center Section Spar
I mocked up & then cut the wood for the CS spar jig back piece and the front “shelf” pieces. Once I got them cut to size, I mocked it up again to ensure the measurements were correct.