Today I started out by removing the tape & the peel ply from the winglets’ edges… and of course I cleaned up a lot of peel ply gunk.
I removed the winglets from their mounts… everything looked good!
I then cut the UNI, BID and peel ply for glassing the second/last/other side of the winglets. The pic below is just a shot of some of my leftover glass scraps. There’s a lot of glass that gets left over and I try to reuse as much as possible. One thing about fiberglass is that if it gets wet, with virtually anything liquid including water, sweat, or especially epoxy, it’s done for & must be thrown out. Also, if it’s physically damaged it can’t be reused.
Another couple shots of the winglets.
I weighed down the winglets, one at a time, and cut off the fishtail & removed the peel ply from the trailing edge. I will say one good thing on the winglets is that when the glass & epoxy are this fresh the TE peel ply comes off A LOT easier! (whew…)
Glassing the final layups on the winglets were going to be a lot easier if I could use more of the work bench, so I removed the CS spar from its jig–since it had cured for ~3 days–and tore down the jig.
The pic above shows that the whole jig stayed fairly level during the course of the first major part of the CS spar build.
After tearing down the jig & getting all the jig pieces removed, I did a fairly thorough cleanup.
I remounted the winglets Inboard side up (bare blue foam), sanded down the LE & Dremeled the dead micro from the winglets.
I refilled my epoxy jug & hardener bottles . . . apparently all this building is gettin’ it done since I only have about 2 gallons of epoxy left.
After getting the consumables reloaded, I made 2 COM antennas with 17 ft leads. I then took them out to the workshop & mocked them up on the winglets (albeit they are not in the correct location on the winglets in these pics).