Chapter 26 – Final on Seat Cores

I’ve actually been able to get a fair amount done on the first part of my trip, in Greensboro, visiting friends and family.  Since I’m not working on the actual build I figured I would get the Oregon Aero seat cores finalized and get that off the list.

I’ll note that I did get the seat cores, headrests, armrests and heated seat warmers shipped off to Oregon Aero.

My final seat core adventures started of course before I left, as I noted in my last blog post. During the machinations of rooting out the last tweaks required to get an optimized fit for all the seat core components, I wrote out on the whiteboard this list of 9 tasks needing completed:

In no particular order, I’ll show you a smattering of some of those tasks.

First off is the pilot headrest.  The pads on these definitely need tweaking and are not even nor symmetrical.

Here’s a closeup.

And the top headrest pad…. not as bad as the bottom, but still needs some tweaking.

I spent a bit of time making up these templates that I will take with me on my trip out west. Since I’ll be fairly close to Oregon Aero, I plan on stopping in and conferring with them on these final tweaks and my upholstery scheme.  I’ll drop these templates off for them to use if needed.

One issue of rather minor concern is the front seat lower pad gap with the seat back bulkhead.  It’s a decent sized gap all the way across so I put on the list so that they can easily fill it in.

Here’s a quick drawing of the issue going on above.

As for the front seat back cushion, it needs to be just a bit wider.  Right now it will tilt a bit one side to the other and I want it fitting snuggly in between the 2 armrests.  I noted some dimensions along the side for amount required to be widened at that spot.

The last big item on the front seat back cushion is the gap at the very top aft of the seat cushion with the front seat top structure.  The top section of the seat is angled forward just enough to create a noticeable gap here, and I want that minimized as best possible.

Onto the GIB seat, there is a gap between the upper cushion and the bottom cushion that’s notable as well.  So I annotated all the right/center/left dimensions to have this minimized as well.

Since the front edge of the lower GIB seat is peaking out from beneath the cushion, I want another 0.5″ added to the front of the cushion simply to provide the GIB with as much thigh support as possible.

Finally, with the current configuration of the GIB headrest pad it doesn’t allow me to unscrew the top 2 CAMLOCs.  So I’m simply having them shave off the upper “corners” of the GIB headrest pad to make those CAMLOCs both visible and removable so I don’t have to remove the headrest every time I want to gain access to the D-Deck components (i.e. GRT EIS, etc.).

All told I spent a good 3 hours writing these tweaks up in detail to the folks at Oregon Aero to ensure the final mods were done in optimized fashion.

Moreover, I then spent another few hours finalizing my color choices and my upholstery scheme and sending that off to Oregon Aero as well.  For the upholstery, ya’ll will just have to wait for the big reveal to see the colors and design! (grin)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.