I removed the nails/toothpicks & tape from the Left wing bonded sections FC1 & FC2. I then micro’d the FC3 pieces together.
I touched up & finalized sanding the leading edge (LE) of the Right wing in prep for glassing the bottom of the wing. I also finished cleaning up the micro joints & had to reflox the upper wing surface to Jig #4.
I vacuumed the entire wing surface in prep for glassing. I then floxed in a baggage pod threaded insert for a tie-down hard point.
I cut RG-58 coax & 3/8″ copper foil strips to length for an FM radio antenna (26.2″ each leg). I prepped & soldered the coax cable to the copper strips using Rosin core solder. I chose to do the FM antenna first, that way if I jacked it up while glassing, I could use it as a learning experience.
I installed the antenna onto the wing, and then I tacked on 1″ peel ply strips to the wing trailing edge (TE) and at the front edge of what will become the ailerons.
I taped up both ends of the wing to protect the foam from epoxy, gunk, etc. and also along the front leading edge, so that the wing top LE (down in these pics) would be protected & fresh when it comes time to layup the wing top surface. I then wet-micro’d the surface & dry-micro’d the grooves, indents, bumps, valleys, etc.
I glassed the UNI skin layups onto the surface of the lower Right wing. After the main UNI skin was laid up, I added the triangular BID reinforcement at the Outboard area & peel plied.
I peel plied a 2″ strip along the LE & 3″ peel ply strips at the wing bolt access hole.
Talking to a couple of seasoned builders, they said I should try throwing on some thick micro–using the West system–after the skin layup was tacky. This would kill two birds with one stone in theory since I would have my finishing micro in place and not have to sand to finish later on. I tried it on two wide swaths, and wasn’t overly impressed with the outcome. I was too tired & too committed after it was on, but learned that I would rather go the hard route of sanding, filling and finishing later on than take this shortcut.
After the wing cured a bit, I knife trimmed the LE & removed the duct tape along the LE.